Sunday, January 22, 2006

Buenos Aires



I have trouble remembering her name these days. It is not important anyway. Women should not really have names since they are all the same…She was travelling from Alexandria to Marseille with her mother. Her father’s wool-trading business had bankrupted and he had killed himself. She wore black, read songs, and spoke in the most simple of ways. She was pure and full of kindness. She gave me a wallet made out of fish-leather and I gave her my little golden cross that I had hanging around my neck since I could remember. 3 years later, at Buenos Aires I slept with some woman. In the morning I got my wallet out to pay her and she shouted something as soon as she saw it. I shouted something back when I noticed a small cross pinched on her robe…Maybe it was just a dream. All women seem to be the same now.

Taken from Nikos Kavvadias’s ‘Diaries’.
Photo by Sheila Smart.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mei said...

amazing photo!

23/1/06 18:15  
Blogger Corto Maltese said...

Thespian: the views of the writer are not necesserily mine. As for the numbering system i think it would create problems (i.e two 9s??). Also the way I perceive women is over-complicated..i.e. i find them over-complicated..

Mei: Check out her website!

24/1/06 13:51  
Blogger northaura said...

O Kavvadias agapise tis gynaikes opws agapise tis thalasses: otan taksideueis poly ta nera ta ksereis kai ta fovasai poly kala gia na ta onomazeis kiolas

Diavase to "Li" an den to exeis kanei

2/2/06 14:56  
Blogger Corto Maltese said...

Σπυρος, παει καιρος που διαβασα το Li, ισως πρεπει να το ξαναπιασω.

6/2/06 20:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home